Wednesday 18 May 2011

Yeah...!!! I won a rose....

Being a member of the Home and Garden Forum has given me a lot of support and opportunity to grow roses in Malaysia. Besides the knowledge and ideas that we share together, we also have regular get together where we have nice home cooked meals and also interesting garden items sales....

Recently we had a gathering in Cherating, a beautiful beach in Pahang, which is located about 300km from Kuala Lumpur. The gathering was attended by youngs and olds.. the oldest being 78 years old and the youngest was a 2 years old girl...

Lucky me....ohhhh..lucky me....!!!!

One of the Committee Member, who is a local there had been so kind to surprise me with a beautiful rose ....for being the first person to arrive in Cherating...!!

What a nice surprise and it's such a beautiful rose as well...




This rose is from Cameron Highland and it has to go through the hardening processs before it can flourish like the normal roses.

So here it comes.... I have to put to practise all the theory that I have learned from my Sifu...

This is what I am suppose to do during the hardening processs..
  1. Keep the plant away from glaring sunlight. Put it in a shade so that it will not be cooked by the intense heat.
  2. During the first week, expose the plant to morning sun for about 2 hours
  3. During the second week, put it in the morning sun for 4 hours..
  4. During the 3rd week, slowly exposed it to direct hot sun for about 2 hours
  5. Keep watering and fertilising the plant as normal, making sure that the soil is not water clogged
  6. Throw away any fallen leaves as this can promote fungal growth
Woala... I should have a beautiful rose to take the challenge of the lowland in 4 weeks time. Cant wait for it to happen...

I shall be updating on this rose from time to time...

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your win. Lovely Rose too. I am your new and first follower. Come on by mine when you have time to follow.
    Cher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are so lucky! This rose is beautiful. Can you let me know the link to the Garden Forum? It sounds interesting and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations.... Anything from Cameron Highland needs hardening. I call it conditioning.... Just wonder how plants brought down had died because many of us not so familiar with hardening/conditioning....

    ReplyDelete
  4. But it will be so worth it when you're done! Enjoy your beautiful rose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great piece. You've explained it so much better than I k. zara.. If I may add, hardening process should be fun and the timing/duration of process given is just a guideline since different plants/roses have different heat or stress tolerance. Some can be left out under full sun as early as in the second week. As gardeners we must always trust our instinct.

    ReplyDelete